Sulfur is a chemical element that is present in all living tissues. Sulfur is the third most abundant mineral in the human body after calcium and phosphorous. Methylsulfonylmethane, more commonly known as MSM, is a popular dietary supplement.
Sulfur is an FDA-approved ingredient that is used in over-the-counter dandruff products. Salicylic acid is often combined with Sulphur.
Sulfur supplements are often used to treat osteoarthritis. People with osteoarthritis of the knee MSM may benefit from treating the knee arthritis and its associated reduced pain and stiffness.
Prevent oxidative stress
Sulfur can increase the recovery speed after exercise by reducing muscle damage and stress. Oxidative stress caused by free radicals increases muscle damage that occurs during exhaustive exercise.
Topically applied sulfur may help treat rosacea; rosacea is a common skin condition characterized by a scaly rash. The combination of sodium sulfacetamide and sulfur provides a safe, well-tolerated, and practical option for the treatment of rosacea
Protecting from cell damage
Sulfur is required to synthesize glutathione, which acts as a potent antioxidant, preventing cells from damage caused by free radicals that cause oxidative stress.
Improve skin health
Keratin is a protein that acts as the main structural component in hair, skin, and nails. It contains high levels of the sulfur-containing amino acid cysteine.
RDA for Sulphur
Currently, there is no recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for sulfur. However, there are recommended daily intake amounts for sulfur-containing amino acids. For example, intake of the essential sulfur amino acid methionine (combined with cysteine) is recommended at 14 mg/kg B.W
Chicken eggs, particularly yolks, are rich in sulfur. One quail’s egg offers almost as much Sulphur as a serving of meat. Other high-sulfur foods include dairy products, chocolate, coffee, tea, grains, sesame seeds, cashews, peanuts, pistachios, and other nuts.
As a supplement, sulfur is available in capsule or powder form. It is also an ingredient in many topical preparations.
• Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) are types of sulfur supplements. MSM is sometimes called organic sulfur.
White Bean Salad
- 1 14.5-ounce can white beans, drained but not rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons wine vinegar (red or white)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dry Herbs de Provence (crumbled)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Let the onion marinate in lemon juice: After you chop up the onion, squeeze a little lemon juice over it and let it sit while prepping the other ingredients. According to my mother, this will take the edge off the onion.
- Combine all ingredients into a serving dish. You can serve right away if you want, but the flavors will come together better if you chill for a few hours.
- Calories 120
- Protein 6g
- Carbohydrates 16g
- Fiber 5g
- Sodium 5g
- Fat 3g
- Magnesium 3.0 %
- Sulphur 25.0 %
- Niacin 0.8 %
- Phosphorus 2.6 %
- Riboflavin 0.8 %
- Selenium 0.5 %