Different Types of Massage
There are many different types of massage out there for you to get. All massages provide you with different benefits and are specifically made to help cure and relieve different illnesses and/or aches and pains. Massages are also a great way to relax. Here is a list of the most popular massages that people get, and the benefits of those massages.
- Pregnancy Massage – Women love this type of massage! There are tremendous changes that occur to your body as pregnancy progresses. The increased weight adds a great deal of stress to you low back and often the legs, feet, and hands swell. Having massages during this time helps to move the fluids, relax the muscles, and reduce the aches and pains. Check if your therapist has the proper table for this. At STAR Physical Therapy™ we do.
- Swedish Massage – Often known as “relaxation massage”, this type of massage brings patients relaxation and ease. This massage involves long, flowing strokes, often towards the direction of the heart. Kneading and circular motions are also involved in this type of massage. Massage oils and lotions are used to minimize the friction. If you have never gotten a massage before, this type of massage is the best option for you as it is more of an “introductory” type of massage.
- Hot Stone Massage – Sometimes done in combination with other types of massage, this type of massage involves laying stones heated to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit on the patient’s shoulders and back. Placing the hot stones on patients helps them with their circulation and promotes relaxation. The massage therapist may decide to place light pressure on the stones to increase their effect.
- Thai Massage – This massage is considered to be one of the most “energizing” massages that you can get. The massage therapist will move and stretch the patient into different yoga-type positions. They will often pull the clients toes, fingers, and ears, as well as cracking their knuckles and walking on their back. Getting this massage can better your posture, improve breathing, prevent illnesses, and slow the aging process. This massage can last up to two hours.
- Reflexology – This is a form of foot massage that involves applying pressure to points in the feet that people believe are associated with certain organs in your body. By stimulating those points in your feet, it is said that it can promote better health overall. Although it is not proven that reflexology has any medical benefits, people have said that it does relieve foot pain and is a pleasurable and relaxing experience.
- Deep Tissue Massage – This type of massage is made for muscles that have been strained related to chronic pain and posture issues. The massage therapist targets the deep layers of muscles and the connective tissue by using intense pressure and short strokes. It is warned that you may feel sore for about a week after this massage but after the soreness goes away, the benefits are completely worth it.
- Japanese Shiatsu – This type of massage involves using fingers and thumbs to apply pressure to acupuncture points to relieve any stress and pain. This type of massage is a little more intense than any other traditional Swedish massages, but people have said that Shiatsu is more relaxing. With this massage, you aren’t left with any soreness like other massages have been known to do.
Look into more types of massages and their benefits to ensure that you are getting the best massage for your specific reason. If you have any questions, you can consult your doctor as they may be able to provide you with more answers and advice.